Thursday, October 23, 2008

The name of the game is wating.......

Hi there,
My friend Erin started this blog so I/we could keep everyone up to date on my illness in one place. In case no one knows my situation at the moment, I thought I should give a "starting" summary.

Currently I have carcinoid in at least two place, my chest and my liver. When I say chest, it is actually my mediastinum. This is defined by wikipedia as: The mediastinum is a non-delineated group of structures in the thorax (chest), surrounded by loose connective tissue. It is the central compartment of the thoracic cavity.

My Dr. had previosly told me that they could not do surgery 'cause it was in two places and that was not possible. I was told to wait three months and then he would start me on clinical trials.

One Friday in late September I got a call from MD Anderson. I guess my Dr. was reviewing my case with two surgeons, arguing that he did not think they should do surgery. The two surgeons, one I was supposed to see before and a thoracic surgeon, were arguing that they believed that they should do surgery. Turns out the two surgeons won and now I am going to have surgery. The surgery will be two different surgeries but done once with one anesthesia.

Soo, now I'm waiting for my next appointments in November (12th-14th). I will run all the tests again on these dates and then meet with the two surgeons. I'm really hoping to come home with a date for surgery and a plan.

I am ready to have this surgery and get busy healing. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers for my journey!

No comments: