Saturday, November 15, 2008

Vist to MD Anderson, preperation for surgery begins

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers!

I'm really excited to. say we have a plan now. I should expect to have surgery in two weeks. I don't have a date yet but hopefully I will by Monday.


We all really liked the surgeons. Wednesday was no fun at all. I was getting tests from 11:00 am till 9:30 pm. I waited 5 hours for my MRI. I really hate the MRI and the closed in space. This time I made Brian go in with me. Every few minutes he would remind me he was there and I was okay. That really helped. We were so hungry when we left but at least I got all my tests done in one day.

My regular oncologist said a few things I didn't like on Thurs so that was a hard day for me. Really just about the statistics of this disease, median life expectancy is 5 years, I really didn't like that. BUT that is the median, some people live much longer, right? So that's what I'm going to do. Also said once this cancer metastasized, it can no longer be called curable. Didn't like that but I did decide you CAN go into remission. So Thursday wasn't much fun either.

Then when we saw the surgeons the next day, they were much more upbeat. The main surgeon, the liver surgeon, said his intention would to be to get it all out and allow the thoracic surgeon to get all of the other out. This would put me back to where I used to be. A cancer patient with NO cancer. That's very encouraging and we're going to shoot for that outcome.

I'm scared, nervous, happy, anxious and still ready to get this moving! Does that sum it up? .

Love to all,
Terri

No comments: